Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bottom Number Blonde: First Brew

Well, I tried my first all-grain batch using the BIAB method.  And I failed.  I was raising the temperature in the brewpot with all the grains in it and I flamed out at 158 degrees, the temperature for my mash.  Little did I suspect that the temperature would continue to rise.  So, after stirring and putting the lid on, I answered nature's call and grabbed a homebrew.  Imagine my surprise when I came back 8 minutes later to find the temperature at around 175 or so.  I added some cold water and got it down to 160, but the damage was done.  My efficiency ended up being 63% and I missed my OG by 7 points.  Oh, well.  Live and learn, I guess.

As far as the recipe goes, it's a variation of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde recipe on homebrewtalk.com.  The only thing I did was add a little more Vienna and Caramel/Crystal malts.

Recipe: Bottom Number Blonde
Brewer: Dechert
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.01 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.9 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.68 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.11 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.11 %
0.75 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 8.11 %
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (55 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (35 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
0.26 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Notes:
------
BIAB

Four gallons of water in primary brew kettle. Heat. As water heats, put the bag in and add the grain. Stir until water temp rises to 158. Lid kettle and allow to mash for 60 min, stirring every 5 min for first 20 min, then every 10 min for last 40. Keep water at 158.

Bring other two gallons of water in secondary kettle to 178 degrees. At 60 min, add water into grain bag/primary kettle. Stir, lid, and let sit for 10 min. Lift bag and let drain and begin to heat for full boil. Boil and hop per recipe.
My OG actually came it at 1.040 rather than 1.047.  If the starches in the grain didn't convert right, my FG will probably be high, too.  I guess I can chalk it up to a learning experience and move on, then.  We'll know in 7 days or so.

Edit: After a quick, hard beginning to fermentation, it died out and the SG is 1.020.  Tastes like a loaf of bitter bread.  If the SG doesn't drop within the next few days, this batch is going to make a nice addition to the compost pile.

Edit 11/1/10:  Actually fermented down to 1.012 or so.  Tastes better, though only about 3.5%.  Racked to secondary with gelatin and will bottle on the weekend.  We'll see how it turns out, but it looks like it's going to actually work.  Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment