Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ad-Seg IPA: First Brew Impressions

Well, last night was certainly and adventure.  It seems now that every time I brew, I learn something vital!

Last night I learned that 11 lbs. of malt in 1.5 gallons of water will boil over a 5-gallon brewpot in a few seconds.  And not just once, but continually.  Thanks to the folks at Homebrewtalk for the quick advice so I could save the brew.  I wasn't sure how to handle the fact that every time the wort heated up, it boiled over.  I was afraid that I wasn't going to be able to finish the boil - or that it would take me hours to do.  But, using cold water from a spray-bottle was the advice I got, and it worked like a charm.

On the other hand, trying to hold a spray-bottle, a stirring spoon, and have a free hand for continual hop addition was a bit tricky.  Seemed to go OK, though.  However, two things for next time: (1) bigger brewpot and (2) fermcap tablets to keep foam down.  I'll be researching both of those options today.

On a lighter note, I checked the fermenter this morning and it is chugging away.  Though my OG was 1.075 (when Beersmith estimated it at 1.098), the starter kicked it off quickly and vigorously.  That confirms my newfound commitment to a yeast starter.  All in all, I'm very hopeful for this brew.  Maybe a tad low on the ABV, but that's a minor detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment