Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Rolled Up Irish Red: First Brew

So, I brewed the RRIR tonight.  I decided to try something I haven't done yet - use a carboy as the primary with a blowoff tube.  I'm also not going to rack the RRIR to a secondary fermenter, but leave it in the carboy for 14 days then go to bottle.  We'll see how that works.

Beyond those things, the brew went pretty well, except the funnel I have for the carboy is too small and I spilled some wort.  I know that happens to everyone, but it drives me nuts to lose good beer!  Well, I hope it's good beer.  Anyway, the only surprise during the boil was when I was lazily reading the hops packages and figured out the acidity of the hops I was using was a full percent lower than my recipe.  So, I kicked up the second hop addition from .5 oz to 1 oz. and prayed.  After running it through Beersmith, it looks like my prayers were answered - the IBU should be right on target for an Irish Red.

Now the fermenting - that should be a sight.  I can't wait for morning to see the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment