Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Off Paper Lager: First Brew

I attempted my first brew with my own ingredient list rather than buy a full ingredient kit. My neighbors love Dos Equis Lager and I told them that I would try and brew a clone. I searched around for some recipes then landed on one and modified with Beersmith to this:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 5.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 13.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 27.40 %
3.30 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 45.21 %
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 13.70 %
1.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 13.70 %
1.00 oz German Hallertau [3.00 %] (50 min) Hops 6.8 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (25 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafLager West European Lager (DCL Yeast #SYeast-Lager

I steeped the corn and malt for 1/2 hour at 160 degrees then mixed in the extracts and started the boil. After it was all over, I cooled it in an ice bath and added a couple of gallons of prepared cold water. I got the wort down to 100 pretty quickly, but then seemed to get stuck there. After 40 minutes cooling I started worrying about the yeast I was rehydrating, so I aerated the wort down to 80 and pitched the yeast. I put the whole fermenter in a Ranco controlled fridge at 59 degrees. Measured OG at 1.040, slightly less than predicted.

I decided to go with the SafLager-23 yeast because I read that it can cause some fruity esters. To me, Dos Equis Lager has a sweet, almost apple-cidery kind of taste, so I wanted to get a little of that going. I figure that pitching the yeast at a little higher initial temp should help to accomplish that, as well. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment